New Haven, Conn. – The Albertus Magnus College women's tennis team suffered its first conference loss of the season as the Falcons fell to Johnson & Wales, 9-0, on Tuesday evening at the Celentano Courts.
FINAL SCORE: Johnson & Wales 9 | Albertus Magnus 0
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (3-2, 1-1) | Johnson & Wales (5-1, 1-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
In doubles play, the visitors took all three matches to take an early edge over the Falcons. The duo Nallely Magana (East Haven, Conn.) and Paige Williams (Orange County, Va.) earned the first loss of the day at No. 1, 8-1. The Falcon tandem of juniors Alicia Weaver (Bethel, Conn.) and Izzy Sabino (Cheshire, Conn.) lost at No. 1 by a score of 8-3. Freshman Jessica Coughlin (Durham, Conn.) and senior Kelsea Wildman (Hamden, Conn.) put up a strong fight in doubles play, but came up short, 8-4, at No. 2
The Wildcats carried their strong play over into singles, taking all six matches in straight sets to earn their first conference win of the fall. Sabino put up a strong fight at No. 3 before losing 6-2, 6-4. Coughlin also recorded a strong performance for the Falcons at No. 2, but lost to Lauren Torre 6-3, 6-1.
1. Nina Cohen (JWU) def. Alicia Weaver (AMC) 6-0, 6-0
2. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Jessica Coughlin (AMC) 6-3, 6-1
3. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Izzy Sabino (AMC) 6-2, 6-4
4. Claire Parry (JWU) def. Kelsea Wildman (AMC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Gabriela Velazquez (JWU) def. Nallely Magana (AMC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Katherine Ledesma (JWU) def. Paige Williams (AMC) 6-1, 6-1
1. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Alicia Weaver/ Izzy Sabino (AMC) 8-3
2. Holly Olson/Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Jessica Coughlin / Kelsea Wildman (AMC) 8-4
3. Thapenga Flores/Victoria Pizzulo (JWU) def. Nallely Magana / Paige Williams (AMC) 8-1
Albertus Magnus looks to bounce back tomorrow as the Falcons travel to New York to take on Vaughn at 8 p.m. Johnson & Wales returns to the court on Sunday, Sept. 24 against Clark.