Holyoke, Mass. - The Albertus Magnus College baseball team split a non-conference doubleheader versus Elms College on Sunday afternoon at Mackenzie Stadium. Elms took the opener, 3-1, but the Falcons bounced back taking the nightcap, 7-2, behind a two-run homer from Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.).
FINAL SCORE (G1): Elms 3 | Albertus Magnus 1
FINAL SCORE (G2): Albertus Magnus 7 | Elms 2
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (4-6) | Elms (3-10)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus Magnus opened the game with the early one-run edge following a sacrifice fly from Matt Warren (Wolcott, Conn.) in the top of the first, but Elms managed to tie the game up after Ben Ross scored off an RBI groundout from Thomas Slane a half inning later.
Three and a half innings later, Elms scored two runs on one hit and two Falcon errors in the bottom of the fifth to push its lead to two, 2-1. Albertus Magnus tried to rally back in the top of the seventh, but came up short leaving a runner on base.
Similar to game one, both teams came out swinging the bat in the first as Albertus Magnus held a two-run lead, 4-2, behind an RBI triple from Warren and a sacrifice fly from Mike Browne (New Fairfield, Conn.).
Over the next four innings, Elms threatened the Falcons on numerous occasions with runners in scoring position, but the Falcons managed to keep their composure and tack on two runs in the sixth and a run from Clark in the seventh to seal the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G1):
- Albertus Magnus - Dan Zarnik (L, 1-1): 6.0 IP | 3 H | 3 R | 2 ER | 3 BB | 6 SO
- Elms - Brandon Bennett (W, 1-2): 7.0 IP | 1 H | 1 R | 1 ER | 3 BB | 7 SO
At the Plate (G1):
- Senior Eric Therrien (Bristol ,Conn.) posted the Falcons' only hit of the game.
- A trio of players from Elms recorded a hit.
- Ben Ross, Jaeden Rasmus and Josh Keaton led the hosts scoring a run each.
- Albertus Magnus was 1-of-21 with a RBI, three walks and seven strikeouts.
- Elms was 3-of-22 with three RBIs, three walk and six strikeouts.
On the Mound (G2):
- Albertus Magnus - Daunte Brinkley (W, 1-1): 6.0 IP | 8 H | 2 R | 2 ER | 1 BB | 0 SO
- Albertus Magnus - Justen Rodriguez: 1.0 IP | 1 BB | 2 SO
- Elms - Cody Fisher (L, 0-2): 5.0 IP | 3 H | 4 R | 4 ER | 3 BB | 4 SO
At the Plate (G2):
- Albertus Magnus finished the nightcap 6-of-25 with seven RBI, five walks and six strikeouts.
- Ben Ross and Thomas Slane both recorded two hits each for the hosts.
- Alex Ross recorded one of Elms' two runs, including a RBI in the bottom of the first.
- Elms went 8-of-28 at the plate as well as recorded two RBI, two walks and two strikeouts.
- Brandon Clark (Cheshire, Conn.) and Warren recorded two hits a piece while Warren recorded recorded his third home run of the season as well as a team-high five RBI and two runs scored.
- Freshman Brandon Fowler also posted a team-best two runs scored.
The Falcons return to the mound next week against Coast Guard, Mitchell and Eastern Connecticut State University.