Franklin, Mass. - Behind a team-high 30 points from senior guard Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.), the Albertus Magnus College women's basketball team cruised to a 77-54 road victory over Dean College Thursday evening in non-conference play at Pieri Gymnasium.
Final: Albertus Magnus 77 | Dean College 54
Records: Albertus Magnus (14-6) | Dean College (4-15)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albertus grabbed an early 6-2 edge in the first two minutes of action before four straight points from the Falcons put the visitors ahead, 10-2, midway through the quarter.
After the teams traded points, a three from Stephanie Conrad and a layup from Makayla Rudder brought the Bulldogs to within three, 12-9. However, a three-point play from Osmond jump started an 11-0 Albertus run that made it a 14-point game, 23-9, at the end of the first 10 minutes.
The second stanza saw the Bulldogs attempt a comeback and pull within 10, 25-15, three minutes in, but a deep three from Kyah Nowlin (Stamford, Conn.) sparked a 14-7 run that pushed the visitors lead to 17, 39-22.
Dean and Albertus went hoop-for-hoop over the final two minutes of the second frame and Albertus remained ahead 42-26 heading into halftime.
Osmond continued where the Falcons left off at the end of the second scoring the first hoop of the third, which was quickly followed up by a pair of freebies from Beatriz Honorio (bridgeport, Conn.), pushing the visitors' lead to 20, 46-26, two minutes in.
The Bulldogs battled back to within 13, 50-37, on a layup from Alexah Potter at the 3:51 mark, but the hosts trailed 66-37 at the end of the third.
Albertus' lead continued to blossom in the fourth and final quarter, peaking at 30 with 8:21 left to play. Dean was unable to overcome the double-digit deficit as the Falcons soared to a 77-54 road win.
- Albertus - 42.1% FG | 20.8% 3PT | 80% FT
- Dean - 38.6% FG | 12.5% 3PT | 42.9% FT
- Shyla Osmond - 30 points (12-25 FG, 3-5 3PT, 3-3 FT) | 4 rebounds | 7 assists | 6 steals | 1 block
- Kyah Nowlin - 14 points (5-16 FG, 2-11 3PT, 2-2 FT) | 2 rebounds | 3 assists | 5 steals | 1 block
- Rah-Rah Thompson (Bridgeport, Conn.)- 12 points (6-10 FG, 0-1 3PT) | 13 rebounds | 2 assists | 4 steals
- Beatriz Honorio - 12 points (5-8 FG, 2-2 FT) | 8 rebounds | 4 assists | 5 steals
- Alexah Potter - 22 points (11-20 FG, 0-1 3PT, 0-4 FT) | 9 rebounds | 1 assist | 2 steals | 1 block
- Mikayla Rudder - 26 points (10-19 FG, 0-1 3PT, 6-7 FT) | 12 rebounds | 3 assists | 3 steals
- Albertus: Rah-Rah Thompson (12 points, 13 rebounds)
- Dean: Mikayla Rudder (26 points, 12 rebounds)
- This was the first meeting between the two programs.
- Albertus is now 6-4 on the road this season.
- The Falcons recorded a season-high 20 steals, including six from Osmond.
- Honorio's 12-point performance was a season-best for the rookie.
- Thompson collected her 15th double-double of the season.
- This is the third time this season Osmond has scored 30 or more points.
- 12 of the Falcons' 29 defensive rebounds came from Thompson.
- 36 of the Falcons' 77 points came off of turnovers.
The women's basketball team resumes conference play on Saturday, Feb. 8 with a road showdown against Rivier University. Tip-off is set for 1PM in Nashua, N.H.